I don’t know about you, but there always seems to be so many leftovers and so little time! I hate to waste so my go-to for those turkey bones and leftovers is to pour it all together in a soul-warming soup. Not only are soups one of my favourite meals when the weather gets cooler, they are also really easy to freeze, meaning you won’t have to waste any of those delicious left overs!
Makes 6-8 servings
- Avocado oil (1 tbsp)
- Celery stalks (4), chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Carrots (4), chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Onion (1), chopped
- Cloves garlic (4), chopped
- Dried thyme (1 tsp)
- Dried sage (½ tsp)
- Turkey carcass with most of the meat removed
- Apple cider vinegar (1 tbsp )
- Bay leaves (2)
- Brown rice (1 ½ cups )
- Large sweet potato, cubed
- Frozen green peas (1 cup )
- Cooked turkey meat, leftover from your turkey dinner (2 cups )
- Lemon zest
- Salt and pepper, to taste
I love that this recipe uses avocado oil as it is definitely one of my favourites! Start by heating the avocado oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
Next, add in the garlic, celery, carrot, onion, thyme and sage and sauté for a few minutes until softened.
Add turkey carcass, apple cider vinegar and bay leaves; cover the carcass with water and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, add the rice and sweet potatoes, cover and simmer for about 1 hour.
After an hour, remove the turkey carcass and add the frozen peas and cooked turkey meat, bring back up to a boil for a few minutes to heat through.
Finally, add lemon zest, salt and pepper to your taste.